One of the many things that MennoMedia produces is Third Way Café. This site was launched some 15 years ago by Mennonite Media as a source for basic information about Mennonites, including history, beliefs, present-day values and thinking from an Anabaptist viewpoint.
There are over one million Internet searches each month for “Mennonite,” and Third Way Café is one of the places where people turn for information.
Our analytics show that we’ve had 70,000 visitors via computer since June—with half of them coming via a Google search. Plus there have been another 30,000 that came to Third Way Café via mobile devices—with 20,000 from iPhones.
And the numbers go up considerably when stories related to Amish or Mennonites make the mainstream news—or when Amish reality TV shows begin another season.
Our viewership statistics are impressive, and we are paying close attention right now as we get ready to launch a reconceptualization and redesign process for Third Way Café.
While some sections of the site are rarely accessed, others—such as the “Who are the Mennonites?” page—are heavily used. With a growing number of people interested in knowing about Mennonites, we want Third Way Café to continue to be a strong presence for searches about Mennonite faith and life.
As we embark on this reconceptualization and redesign process, we are asking ourselves:
- What is at the core of Third Way Café now?
- What’s the vision for Third Way Café in the future?
- How should the content for Third Way Café intersect with other MennoMedia content?
- How should the content for Third Way Café intersect with other content about Mennonites available online?
We will work on this reconceptualization and redesign process both internally and externally in coming months.
To get us started, I welcome your feedback on Third Way Café.
- How would you critique it?
- How could we improve it?
- How can we better use it as a communications tool for Mennonite Churches and for MennoMedia?
Looking forward to your input!
Amy Gingerich, editorial director