News Release: September 15, 2017
Announcing Great Day of Singing Events
Area congregations invited to regional hymn sings
HARRISONBURG, Va.—The Mennonite Worship and Song Committee, working under the name Resonate Team, has invited congregations to hold a “Great Day of Singing” this fall and has scheduled a series of regional hymn sings.
Those regional events will be:
- Sunday, September 17, 6:30 p.m., Harrisonburg Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, Virginia, led by music editor Benjamin Bergey
- Friday, October 6, 7:00 p.m., Franconia Mennonite Church, Telford, Pennsylvania, led by music editor Benjamin Bergey and committee member Emily Grimes
- Sunday, October 8, 9:00 a.m., Salford Mennonite Church, Harleysville, Pennsylvania, led by music editor Benjamin Bergey and committee member Emily Grimes
- October 8, 9:30 a.m., Oak Grove Mennonite Church, Smithville, Ohio, led by project director and general editor Bradley Kauffman
- October 8, 6:30 p.m., Blooming Glen Mennonite Church, Blooming Glen, Pennsylvania, led by music editor Benjamin Bergey and committee member Emily Grimes
- Sunday, October 22, 9:30 a.m., College Mennonite Church, Goshen, Indiana, led by text editor Adam Tice
- October 22, 2:00 p.m., College Mennonite Church, Goshen, Indiana, led by text editor Adam Tice
- October 22, 4:00 p.m., Yoder Hall, Bluffton University, Bluffton, Ohio, Swiss Community Historical Society, led by project director and general editor Bradley Kauffman
- Sunday, November 19, time TBD, Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, Kansas, led by project director and general editor Bradley Kauffman
- Sunday, February 25, 2018, time and place TBD, Kitchener, Ontario, led by Brandon Leis and the Menno Singers
“We want to bring Mennonites together around some new songs and worship resources while opening up a space for worshipers to reflect on God’s gift of song,” said Bradley Kauffman, general editor. “We also see these events as good ways to share excitement for the new hymnal coming in 2020.”
These events will draw from a new 16-page sampler designed for the denomination-wide Great Day of Singing (Sunday October 22), as well as other songs and worship resources. Congregations may download their own copies at MennoMedia.org/Resonate. In addition to the 16-page sampler, links to selected accompaniments, tutorial videos, and an image inspired by the Psalms are available for free download. A survey for congregational feedback on the sampler is also available there.
An offering to support the project will be received at most of these events as well. Individuals can also give online at www.HymnalProject606.com.
For more information or to schedule an interview, contact LeAnn Hamby at 540-908-3941 or email LeAnnH@mennomedia.org.